Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket   Photobucket

Sunday, November 17, 2013

9 Things

A friend tagged me to write 9 things about myself that not a whole lot of people know; this is going around on Facebook, but I thought it would be fun to put on here instead.

1. I usually am reading more than one recreational book at a time. Like right now for example, I have Beautifully Dead, Peter Pan, The Wedding Letters, and All My Friends are Dead on my night table. (Disclaimer: All My Friends are Dead is more of a kids story book. I read it for a good laugh.)

2. My brother has a larger closet than I do. But then again, I'm also using the closet in the spare room to house my dresses. My clothes from high school still fit, so the only reason I throw clothes out is if I don't wear them any more.

3. As a kid, my mom tried to dress me in frills, bow, and matching ensembles. I was more of a tomboy and just wanted soccer shorts and over-sized t-shirts. Most of the time, I'd raid my mom's closet for her grungy shirts. In high school, I would only wear t-shirts, sweatshirts, and jeans. Towards the end of my senior year, I started to get more creative in my buying habits, but I'd never wear any of those clothes to school. It wasn't until college that I finally began experimenting with clothing. I'm now fearless enough to wear a plaid shirt and a floral skirt together. My mother probably wishes she could still dress me with some of the odd combos she's seen me in.

4. My nose was fractured when I was in high school and I didn't know about it until 2 days before my mission. It was probably due to something that happened from playing volleyball. Looking back at photos, it's pretty obvious when a bump appeared on my nose one year that hadn't been there the year before. It had been one of my biggest self-image concerns since I was a teenager.  This past summer I was able to have it corrected and life is good!
I was babbling in Spanish when I came out of the anesthesia and the nurses got a kick out of it.

5. The year after I graduated college, I had five different jobs. I worked at Bath and Body Works,  A'Kaya Party Rentals, a law office, an insurance office, and then got my license to teach school. It was a crazy year, but I really loved the fast pacedness of it all. That was a huge step for me in finding out what I wanted to be doing in life and what kind of a career I wanted to pursue. I had plans to go to law school, took the LSAT, and had schools looking at me, but I decided it just wasn't something I wanted to do in life. It didn't make me happy. On my mission to South Florida, I really learned to love the youth and decided that it wouldn't be the most awful thing in the world to work with them for a career. Teaching high school has been totally crazy some days, but it's always rewarding in retrospect.

6. I believe in following your heart. That's the way I live. Pray like it depends on the Lord, and then work as if it depends on you. Hand over your master plans to Him and he will make them work they way He wants them to. Planning is what I love to do, but a lot of Life Plans haven't worked out the way I imagined them. They're different, sometimes more difficult in the short term, but always better in the long run!

7. Blonde. Yes, I know I have blonde hair, but sometimes it transfers into my mental state too. The first (and only) time I moved with my family, my mom told me to practice the piano and after searching for 10 minutes, I couldn't find it. I got in trouble for not practicing, but really? Was it my fault for the piano being difficult to find? (It was in the living room, where it has now resided for 15 years.)
Adventures to Nelson's Landing...not the living room.

8. When I was a teenager, one of the doctors told my mom that I had been dwarfed slightly; I was supposed to have been 6'1" or 2" (I was about 5'11" at the time.) My mother's reaction was the best! "She's taller than you. I don't think we have a problem." I've topped out at 6" and I don't mind it one bit!

9. I love graphic design and photo editing. I will troll blogs for hours at a time, admiring the layouts, design, colors, writing styles, and photo shoots. I majored in English-Technical Writing with a minor in design communication and Spanish. Odd combo, I know. And I really have a soft spot for awesome fonts.

And #10 Just because I can: I love succulents. I try to keep them alive, but they tend to die on me. Mainly because I love them too much and over-water them. Or I leave them in the Vegas sun too long and they get fried. They are soooo fascinating and have the greatest colors and textures! Give me a succulent and I'm your friend!

Yes, these lived in the sink for a few days until I could plant them.



No comments:

Post a Comment