Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket   Photobucket

Monday, May 27, 2013

Shoe Chronicles


I like my shoes. It's kind of a weird love/hate relationship that we have, as I prefer to be barefoot when at all possible/sanitary. In my eyes, life is just one huge adventure and I LOVE trying new things, but I'm fairly faithful to my shoe brands. I have worn Dr. Martins since high school and gone through two pairs in 10 years. For the past two and a half years, I've been in love with these babies right here-
 
Cute, right? They go with just about everything and kick up a boring outfit really quick. I guess you can say they've become my "go-to" shoe, so much so that I've worn out two pairs. They're really comfortable, and I don't have many qualms with them. (Since they're rubber, sometimes they squeak when you walk, but since they are rubber, it makes them waterproof.) Want to know the kicker?

They're CROCS. Yup. It's those funny duck shoes that nurses wear, or the quirky clogs moms put on their kids for the summer (lack of shoe laces make them ideal for munchkins on the go.)  I actually have four pairs in my closet. Two are leopard print, one pair is red, and then I have a purple, iridescent pair that is great for dress up, or Halloween.

I've been wanting to update my typical shoe choices and have tried TOMS (cute, but they don't wear well enough to justify the price in my mind, and I'm not really into looking like Princess Jasmine, though they DO have awesome prints),  Sperry Topsiders (they ran too narrow for my foot, but have an awesome style), and Vans (they have great prints, and they're comfortable, yet I'm looking for something that doesn't look like a total skater shoe).

The checklist for my new go-to shoes is the following:
  • Flats-I'm 6' flat-footed. The last thing I need is more height. I scare my students when they first meet me anyway and don't need to make it any worse.
  • Comfortable-Yes, I teach high school and I'm a little animated. My theory is that if I move more than my students, I have a better chance of keeping their attention. I have been known to pull a toe-touch in the middle of class. 
  • Stylish-I want a shoe that can bring my whole outfit together. Sometimes I mix things together (such as nautical and neon) and a good pair of shoes can make all the difference.
I MAY have found a shoe that will make the cut. They're Sanuks, and all the reviews rave about how awesome, comfortable, and stylish they are. What first caught my attention when I got to their site was the design factor. (Back in my college days, I minored in digital design and still love great design, colors, and layouts.) I usually wear a 10.5 or 11; many of the reviews said the shoes run a little big, so I ordered a 10. I wanted something that would work for the summer and maybe even the fall; after much internal deliberation-honestly, there were 5 pairs in my shopping cart because I couldn't decide which ones I wanted to use for my maiden voyage, I made my choice of this pair!

The slight pattern, I think, will be able to pull outfits together, and the pop of color satisfies my desire for all things bright. According to Sanuk's shipping information, they should be here before the end of school (so sometime in the next two weeks.) When they arrive, I'll be sure to let you know how they rate up against Dr. Martins, Crocs, Sperry's, TOMS, and whatever other go-to brand for flats I have.

Here's to new adventures and trying new things! (Coming from a girl who never gets the same kind of shampoo twice in a row, it's not all that unusual.)

If you have any favorite shoe brands, be sure to let me know! I'm always up for trying new things in the quest of finding a new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment